9.30.2010

illustrator top ten

A recent discussion within the KidLit group on Goodreads inspired me to make a list of my ten favorite children's book illustrators. I started the list. I added names. Removed names. I revisited the work of classic illustrators (Bill Pete, Maurice Sendak, and Eric Carle). I thought about all the wonderful new illustrators (Erin Stead, Lindsey Ward, and Lorena Simonovich). I thought about the hundreds of illustrators who have illustrated one or two books that I absolutely adore. But in the end, making my list was easy. I guess it’s like my son with macaroni and cheese, pizza and, cheeseburgers. He will try new things. Love new things. But if you ask him his favorite food – he always says “macaroni and cheese, pizza and cheeseburgers.” Ask me my favorite illustrators, and I’ll say:

Maira Kalman

My first love. I have never known anyone who could create such a wild, wacky and beautiful world. She is my macaroni and cheese.

My other favorites (in no particular order) are:

Steve Jenkins


Rosemary Wells

Quentin Blake

Marla Frazee

Laura Vaccaro Seeger

Peter McCarty

Kevin Henkes

Helen Oxenbury

Allison Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment