9.26.2010

the great board book dilemma


I like board books. I like buying board books for new mamas. I like the way babies eat board books and then send them tumbling over the side of their crib. I love the way board books make babies gurgle and coo as they listen and look at the story within. I love that libraries have board books. And I love that patrons use the board book collection regularly.

I like board books, but I don’t like ordering them. There are a million professional resources for ordering picture books, juvenile and young adult titles – but so few for board books. Sure, occasional Booklist or Horn will write a review of one or two titles – but to maintain a good core collection you need to order more than one or two a month.

What’s a selector to do?

Here are some of the resources I use to help solve my board book dilemma:

The Horn Book What Makes a Good Board Book?
A great article, especially if you are new to ordering board books!

Wilson Core Collections

A fabulous resource, especially if you are trying to build a bigger/better board book collection. Just search the Children’s Core Collection with the term “board book.”

readertotz
The (fun) little sister site to the respected readergirlz is "a board book blog dedicated to raising the profile and quality of infant/toddler books. There isn’t a huge amount of board book reviews here (despite the sites mission), but it is definitely still worth checking out!

Curled up with a Good Kid’s Book
A great resource! I like to read both the book review and the reviewers background. Because there are so many titles featured here, I tent to interlibrary loan the material before placing an order.

Through the Looking Glass Children’s Book Reviews
There isn’t a huge amount here, but it is definitely worth checking on a monthly or bi-monthly basis

The Well-Read Child
Jill Tullo is a mother and avid reader. Although she does not regularly review board books, her site is worth checking out periodically.

Idaho Commission of Libraries New Board Books for Babies and Toddler, June 2009 – May 2010
I hope this resource will be published on a yearly basis!

Parenting Best Books for Every Baby Stage
Online magazine articles are a great place to look for board book reviews!

Parents The All-Time Best Books for Babies
Online magazine articles are a great place to look for board book reviews!

OhDeeDoh’s Board Books off the Beaten Path
A fun blog that occasionally features board book reviews (like the one above).

And, that’s all I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment